Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Starting a lettuce crop

I'm setting up a second growing area indoors for cooler weather crops, mostly greens. Today I started 12 pots of Tom Thumb lettuce from seed. I'm trying a totally maintenance-free capillary method for starting the lettuce seedlings that will hopefully make them very easy to start and move into a Deep Water Culture system. I'll describe the method in greater detail if it works out.

My growing area for cool-weather crops is a homemade 4x4x4 foot cube of white foamcore with all interior surfaces covered with Reflectix mylar insulation. The box uses one 125 watt Hydrofarm compact fluorescent lighting fixture with a 6500k daylight-spectrum bulb. These lamps are not powerful enough to grow peppers, tomatoes or other crops with high light requirements, but I'm hoping they are sufficient for lettuce and spinach.

The lights will operate 11 hours on, 13 hours off. If your 'days' are too long, lettuce will bolt and go to seed instead of producing edible leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment