Thursday, October 15, 2009

Changed reservoirs

This morning I refreshed both pepper reservoirs, using this formulation:

-4 gallons tap water (left to sit overnight to dissipate chlorine and chloramines)
-4 teaspoons Maxi-Bloom dry nutrient powder (less 1 teaspoon from my usual recipe)
-1 teaspoon Kool Bloom dry bloom enhancer (this is half the strength suggested on the package)

I have read some reports of gardners burning their plants with these high-powered bloom enhancers so I decided to try to introduce Kool Bloom gently. I used one teaspoon less of my basic bloom nutrient and half the suggested dose of Kool Bloom.

Last night I read an awesome article in Urban Garden magazine that discussed the differences between hydroponic and soil-grow food crops. There was an interesting bit about the aroma and flavor of hydroponically grown foods. I believe the gist of the statement was that mineral salt nutrients will develop healthy plants with larger fruit yields, but additional organic supplements are required for plants to develop full-flavored produce.

So, with this in mind I decided to add some additional products to my reservoirs:

-1 Tablespoon Roots Organics 'Trinity' (for Humic acid)
-1 Tablespoon Technaflora 'B.Seaweed' (vitamins & enhanced nutrient uptake)

In total, the solution had this profile:

-pH 4.83
-PPM 1283 (spot on!)

Two teaspoons of pH UP brought me to a perfect pH of 5.8 and I moved the plants into their new reservoirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment