Thursday, November 5, 2009

Photo Update: Pepperoncini


Here is the bucket that contains one jalapeno plant and two pepperoncini plants. A lot is going wrong here. Firstly, I had no idea how large these plants would eventually grow and each really needed to live in its own bucket rather than share root and foliage space with two other plants.

The other problem is that the pepperoncini plants went absolutely nuts growing stems and foliage and I failed to keep that under control so that the plants could focus on producing fruit. I knew that I should have pruned them a bit more but being new at this, I decided instead to let the plants go so that I'd have a good idea of the 'baseline' production. In the next generation I'll have to keep these guys tamed and focused on pod production.

If you look at the bucket lid, you can see that the net pots are being yanked from their holes and the lid of the bucket is being warped by the weight of the plants. The only thing stopping them from toppling completely is the sheer weight of the root system.

On the left side of the photo, you can see a pair of pepperoncinis which are maturing and changing color from green to red.

No comments:

Post a Comment