Thursday, November 5, 2009

Photo Update: Butternut Squash


Shown here is the butternut squash plant that I transferred from my germinating tray to its new home in the bucket farm last week. It was started from seed almost exactly three weeks ago.

As you can see, the taproot is out of the net pot and has found its way into the solution. Tons of new roots are now sure to follow.

I have experienced some problems with elevated pH in this bucket, and my best guess is that the Rapid Rooter plug that the seed was germinated in is affecting the pH as it dissolves into the nutrient solution. As I said, this is just a guess. Even if the Rapid Rooter plugs are causing the pH bump, I'm so happy with their performance in germination and early root development that I wouldn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment