Wednesday, November 11, 2009

pH adjustment with dry products


When I first bought a basic pH adjustment kit from General Hydroponics, it came with two small bottles of liquid adjusters. One to raise pH (pH UP) and one to lower pH (pH DOWN). Since I need to raise pH far more often than I need to lower it, I ran out of pH UP while I still have a lot of pH DOWN left.

As you may know, I'm a fan of using dry products where available. They're usually cheaper than their liquid counterparts and it's easy to keep a lot on-hand. Also, you're not paying to ship a bunch of water around when you purchase dry products. So, I bought a four pound box of pH UP at a local hydroponics store for $20.

By my best estimation, the dry pH UP product is about four times the strength of the same volume of the liquid version. That is to say, I use 1/2 teaspoon of the dry product to affect the same change that required 2 full teaspoons of liquid.

One downside is that the dry product seems to be quite a bit more reluctant to join the solution than the liquid version- quite a bit more mixing is required. This is an acceptable tradeoff for me given the large quantity of dry product that I get for the money.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I've enjoyed reading about your farming experiments. One suggestion I have is that when you're adding the dry powder to your solution, first put it into a cup or some other small container of water. This will be much easier to stir, and then once it's dissolved you can pour it into the larger batch. It's how we make solutions in chemistry labs.

    ReplyDelete