Friday, November 6, 2009

[cuss word here]

This morning I went down to the bucket farm to pick up the notebook computer that's been logging CO2 for the past 26 hours. For whatever reason, Windows appears to have rebooted the computer at some point and there is no log file on the hard disk so I don't even have partial data.

The only CO2 data I have is based on some spot checks that I have done:

-5 AM (Before lights come on for the day)  CO2: 985 PPM
-12 PM (Lights have been on for six hours) CO2: 600 PPM
-6 PM (Lights have been on all day)  CO2: 550 PPM

Not surprisingly the CO2 levels are high overnight when the lights are off and the plants reverse their respiration, consuming oxygen and emitting carbon dioxide.

During the day cycle, CO2 levels drop to between 500 and 600 as the plant resumes taking up CO2 and emitting oxygen.

While I don't have the complete graph of CO2 levels that I was hoping for, I believe this is enough data to conclude that the bucket farm would benefit from the introduction of additional CO2. I'll discuss a plan for this once I finish this harvest and get the next generation of plants growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment